Skip to main content

where the church gets it wrong...us versus them

I desire open, honest, and nonjudgmental communication from all people and all views and all ideas. The words of my posts are simply my own thoughts on how the church* can fully be operational in Love.




 
The church mistakenly gives the impression that they have cornered the market on god's love. They stand atop their soapboxes touting their views as if they are the only truth, looking down their judgmental noses, and trying to sway others to their side. You know, in a me versus you, us versus them, right versus wrong, sort of way. They use fear tactics and condemning words. They are critical and discriminating. They affix their sanctimonious masks firmly, denying their own lessor evils, and protest loudly about "greater" sins. They do all of this while claiming a greater love.

Here is what I believe about Love :  it is abundantly lavished on everyone, pursuing us ALL with reckless abandon.  Love doesn't care about which church you attend, or if you don't, about which denomination you identify with, if you've read the whole Bible, parts of it, or have never touched it. Love. still. loves. you. I can promise you that. That is the truth the church should be shouting.

While the church squabbles with one another as to basic civil rights, about choices, about the meanings and translations behind words, about which persons are more god-like, about who is spending eternity where, Love is just wanting to connect with hearts. When the church realizes this...that is the day that the lesser things fall away and people become united, one.






*When I say "church", I mean as a whole entity, not necessarily one denomination or actual building, etc.


other posts in this series 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

no more hiding

I first published this in May of 2013. A lot has changed in that time. A lot has stayed the same. There are updates at the end of this post. One of my daughters is on a daily SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) or, in layman's terms, an antidepressant. She was diagnosed with the main dish of Anxiety Disorder, with a side of depression. I can joke about it now - and she can too - but it hasn't always been that way. . We first encountered it years ago. At the time we sought church-based counseling but nothing else in the way of help for her. She was so young that I just couldn't imagine putting her on a medication. I had a hard time even accepting that she might have a mental disorder. We got through that time - barely - and went on without it rearing its head again. But when it resurfaced three years ago, it did so with a vengeance. This time, I was better equipped myself to deal with it. There was no hesitation. We immediately saw a doctor, got a prescrip