Skip to main content

it has a name

Once again, it is in the spotlight. Famous people, youtube videos, the month of October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month, all of this lending more insight into this issue. or not. Because, I'll just be honest, while I know what the words mean, while I spent years involved in an abusive relationship, I'm not sure that I have any more insight as to the whys - why I didn't leave, why I didn't tell, why I protected him, why I didn't fight back, why I did, why I stayed so long after that first time, why when I finally did leave, it wasn't even a factor in my decision. This is what I do know : it seemed to be all around me at that time. I'm not sure if I ever saw it played out in front of my eyes - more like a perception that it was there, lurking behind everyone's closed doors. It was in the way that they (the guys) acted, in the way that we (the girls) reacted. It was in the motions, the looks, the words that weren't being said. It was always present but never spoken of. The elephant in the room, in our lives. The first time it happened, I confided to one person in our circle of friends. I got the distinct impression that I had stepped over some line, that I had broken the code that we were all to keep, the code of silence that shrouds it. I never talked of it again. I knew that my neighbor was experiencing the same it. I heard it. Outside, we smiled, made small talk, and then walked through our separate doors, each into our own hell, our own it. I often wonder what became of her. Did she summon the strength necessary to save herself? I wish that I could have helped her, but I couldn't even help myself. Then again, I didn't really want any help. Even if help had come, I would have defended him, defended it. I was young, worldly and yet naive, looking for a love to make me feel complete, whole, worthy. If that came with it, who was I to question? And so I lied, made excuses, covered bruises, blamed myself, blamed him, forgave him, blamed myself some more.

keep quiet, try harder, love more.
repeat.
add more alcohol, more drugs, numb myself.
repeat.

It was a vicious cycle, one neither of us knew what to do with, a progression of sorts that once started, couldn't be stopped; once allowed, was always accepted; once embedded, impossible to dislodge. Even now, all of these years later, I'm not sure what to do with this, what to do with it. I do know that freedom is healing me, restoring me, and that I can no longer be silent. There has to be a generation, soon, where it is no longer an accepted part of life, no longer a secret to be kept until the internal damage outweighs the physical. 

It has a name. It is abuse.




"There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you." Maya Angelou




*you can read more about my abusive past and my journey to healing here - the first time, fear 


























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

no more hiding

I first published this in May of 2013. A lot has changed in that time. A lot has stayed the same. There are updates at the end of this post. One of my daughters is on a daily SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) or, in layman's terms, an antidepressant. She was diagnosed with the main dish of Anxiety Disorder, with a side of depression. I can joke about it now - and she can too - but it hasn't always been that way. . We first encountered it years ago. At the time we sought church-based counseling but nothing else in the way of help for her. She was so young that I just couldn't imagine putting her on a medication. I had a hard time even accepting that she might have a mental disorder. We got through that time - barely - and went on without it rearing its head again. But when it resurfaced three years ago, it did so with a vengeance. This time, I was better equipped myself to deal with it. There was no hesitation. We immediately saw a doctor, got a prescrip