Skip to main content

shopping and drinking and eating, oh my

The first time that I remember a shopping "high", I was only a teen. I had had a disagreement with a friend and I was in my feelings - hurt, betrayed, excluded, passed over. I grabbed my newly acquired credit card and headed to the mall where I shopped til I dropped, from one end to the other, feeling better with each passing purchase. I maxed that card out. in one day. in one shopping excursion. but, I felt so good. Like, all the hurt could be hidden behind that new outfit, all the betrayal could be trampled under those new boots, all the exclusion was lost in that sweet new fragrance, and all the feelings of being passed over could be buried in the deep pockets of that new handbag.

I was already involved in the drug life. I knew what it felt like to be high from that. and this felt the same. Nothing else mattered in the moment.

~~

I was never a casual drinker when I first started, six years below the legal age. I went straight for the hard liquor, very little chaser. My objective was to not be the person that I was while sober. more free. more fun. more outgoing. I was uncomfortable about my true self and drinking in social settings left me be that other person. And as someone who desperately wanted to fit in, drinking seemed to be the acceptable conduit to doing just that.

The high that I got from being this whole new person gave alcohol an alluring appeal that I couldn't, wouldn't, shake. Nothing else mattered in the moment.

~~

Growing up, some of my best memories surround eating and the dining room table. My family ate almost all of our meals together, laughing and talking. Special occasions meant special meals and every Friday night meant dinner at our favorite restaurant. I loved food and I loved finding reasons to partake of it. Happy, sad, celebrating, mad, the reasons didn't matter.

Food stirred up that same sense of euphoria, that same good feeling, that same high. Nothing else mattered in the moment.

~~

As life went on, I changed. My excessive shopping, binge drinking, and eating habits changed, and yet, the appeal of the high associated with them stuck around. They are my weaknesses, my vices, not because I think that any of them are necessarily bad or wrong, but because the way that I use them is wrong. Instead of facing unpleasant feelings, I shop them away. Instead of learning how to belong in my own skin comfortably, I drink to fit in. Instead of celebrating life by living in the moment, I eat my way through the moments. 





"I've never seen any life transformation that didn't begin with the person in question finally getting tired of their own bullshit." ~ Elizabeth Gilbert


I was tired of my own bullshit. Tired of flimsy excuses keeping me from being my best self. Tired of fears parading around as justifications. Tired of hiding from my thoughts, my feelings, my self, behind a shopping cart, a drink in hand, or an overflowing plate of food. In order for me to be me, I had to put it all in perspective and get real with my self.

And so, I am on a journey to different results. I stop and think through my choices (most days). Are they lining up with the life I see 6 months from now? a year? 5 years? Are they wise choices? or ones made in the heat of an emotion-packed moment? Will the results bring life to who I am? or death?

Do I still shop? Yes, but, not when I am working through something. I am learning that emotional buys are just a cheap substitute and real joy comes when I can shop without strings attached.

Do I still drink? For the last 83 days, no. Whether I ever drink again is still undecided. I say that I will. I think that I will. But, I haven't felt a peace deep within myself quite yet, a joy that comes from just being my real self, without the false sense of security that alcohol serves. Until I can feel secure without it, I have to keep it off the table.

Do I still eat? Well, duh, of course! But this area has seen a tremendous amount of change. I am now a plant-based vegetarian. I love this new way of seeing food and how it works for me.

Do I still struggle? Yes. Some days are taken a moment at a time, but I am focused on truth - the one that speaks to who I am, not what I do - and to walking this out, even if I have to crawl at times.

"That's all life is. Small steps that you take every day so when you look back down the road it all adds up and you know you covered some distance." Katie Kacvinsky





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

black and white

**********PARTS OF THIS WERE ORIGINALLY POSTED JULY 2016 I am biracial. In times like these, I feel trapped, caught between the rock of being white and the hard place of being black. I could write for a very long time about the horrors of racism that my family members, that my friends, have endured because of their skin color. I could cry and tell you of the suffering that I have been through, as recently as this month, because of my mixed heritage. I could paint a gruesome picture depicting the ugly side of this mess that most of America would prefer to slide under the ever present rug of denial and disbelief. I won't. This very post had a different slant when I first wrote it four years ago. I didn't want the country we came from, or the culture we were raised in, or the color of our skin to matter. I wanted desperately to look past that into "one big melting pot of beautiful completeness." Yes, those were my words. That was the me of then. and that