Skip to main content

trust wins

Trust.
This one word stirs up a whirlwind of emotions within me. What is trust, really? I know the definition but what does it mean to me?

I was part of a trust experiment a few years ago in which we were supposed to tell others, “I trust you with my cat. I trust you with my wallet. I trust you with my spouse.” I couldn’t do it. I walked out rather than say those words. It would have been a lie, would have been fake. I refuse to be less than my truth, so my defense mechanism is to just walk run away. (I am working on that. slowly.)

On my way out the door though, I realized just how deep my roots of distrust run. I mean, I love our cat but he is a real jerk and I still couldn’t trust another to care for him!

I have trust issues. I admit that. We, as a society, seem to throw that phrase around as our get out of jail free card. Can you trust me? No, I have trust issues. We justify our lack of trust by pointing out who and when and how our trust has been betrayed and wave it around like a banner that automatically grants us immunity from ever having to trust again. no one. not ever.

We all have at least one story. I have many. I set up a screen in my mind, digging out the projector, and replaying the movie moments of painful memories where someone I loved made a mistake and broke my trust in them. And then I punish them, again, by withholding the very thing that will bring healing to this situation. I keep my (lack of) trust as a barrier between myself and the event, essentially erecting a wall between us, a separation that guarantees my protection, at the expense of real relationship.

And trust, once broken, must be earned back. Right? That is what we say, what we believe. That is the hoop that I hold up, higher and higher, demanding the perpetrator jump and perform and do and meet my expectations in exchange for the gift of my restored trust. Can I tell you that this idea makes me want to puke? That I forced my pride to take a position of superiority over another’s place of brokenness is sickening to me in this moment.

But, and here is what had me pondering the meaning of trust, what if trust was never meant to be mine to give? What if trust, like love, is who I am, not what I do? What would happen if I just lived in trust, from a place of security, of such a deep seated assurance of my identity, and operated from that? I mean, I really don’t know what this looks like, but I know that there is a longing that has been unearthed within me that begs to answer these questions, that has me running towards this new definition of trust, not away from it.

If love wins, every time, than love’s friends must be winners as well!
Trust wins. every time.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

no more hiding

I first published this in May of 2013. A lot has changed in that time. A lot has stayed the same. There are updates at the end of this post. One of my daughters is on a daily SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) or, in layman's terms, an antidepressant. She was diagnosed with the main dish of Anxiety Disorder, with a side of depression. I can joke about it now - and she can too - but it hasn't always been that way. . We first encountered it years ago. At the time we sought church-based counseling but nothing else in the way of help for her. She was so young that I just couldn't imagine putting her on a medication. I had a hard time even accepting that she might have a mental disorder. We got through that time - barely - and went on without it rearing its head again. But when it resurfaced three years ago, it did so with a vengeance. This time, I was better equipped myself to deal with it. There was no hesitation. We immediately saw a doctor, got a prescrip