Skip to main content

where the church gets it wrong...mental illness

I desire open, honest, and nonjudgmental communication from all people and all views and all ideas. The words of my posts are simply my own thoughts on how the church* can fully be operational in Love.




Suicide.
It is all over the news this week. again. And every time, my thoughts are the same : why do we have people around us who are hopeless? We are supposed to carry the very essence of Hope within us, so what are we, The Church, doing wrong?

For starters, we are not acknowledging mental illness. I know this firsthand. (You can read about our family's struggle with mental illness and acceptance here ) We question the validity of science, and the exact causes of depression and anxiety. Science is not the enemy here. The enemy is our flagrant stubbornness to recognize the truth of many studies performed by those more qualified than I.

We offer our thoughts, opinions, and prayers, and little else in the way of actual help. Do I believe in the healing power of positivity? of prayer? of Jesus? Of course! I also believe in the power of simply being with one who struggles, of lending a listening ear, of loving all of their parts, not just the happy ones.

We stand around arguing about the whys while actual living human beings are falling through our fingers, falling through the cracks, and leaving a void in this world that shouldn't have to be. It makes me angry to know that we are failing the very people that we should be loving without measure. We are not called to always understand. We are, however, called to love.

No one should be leaving this world feeling like hope has abandoned them.
No one!

Change in this world comes through us. Each one of us can single-handedly affect the ones in our sphere, each and every day. If you have hope, share it. A simple smile can do wonders. Kind words spread. Love is a verb. Compassion is contagious.

And please, stop placing expectations on others to "know" that you can empathize, and actually be empathetic, be present, be with them. Stop asking "how are you?" as you are hurriedly passing by, setting a tone which screams "I don't really want to know", or worse, "I don't really care". Stop treading the waters of shallowness and take the time to dive into one another, into the depths of truth and real and transparency, past the fake "I'm good" and into the honest "I'm struggling".  Most people stumbling their way through depression or anxiety have a hard time believing in the goodness and love of others. It is our job to reassure them while they are in that place, not wait impatiently on the other side, seemingly unsympathetic and uncaring.

Most people aren't looking to be fixed. They are looking to be heard, and loved, and accepted.

Which brings me to my final thought on how The Church can help. Let's stop trying to heal everyone through our methods and let's just love everyone with the Love in us. Depression is real. Let's stop pushing it under the rug of passivity, shine the light of truth on it, acknowledge those who suffer, accept them as they are, and then love with every single fiber of our being. Love will win.









*When I say "church", I mean as a whole entity, not necessarily one denomination or actual building, etc. I do not mean to condemn or judge her as an outsider, but simply to encourage her to even greater love, from the inside out.



other posts in this series :
starbucks and jesus
loving yourself
us vs them


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

no more hiding

I first published this in May of 2013. A lot has changed in that time. A lot has stayed the same. There are updates at the end of this post. One of my daughters is on a daily SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) or, in layman's terms, an antidepressant. She was diagnosed with the main dish of Anxiety Disorder, with a side of depression. I can joke about it now - and she can too - but it hasn't always been that way. . We first encountered it years ago. At the time we sought church-based counseling but nothing else in the way of help for her. She was so young that I just couldn't imagine putting her on a medication. I had a hard time even accepting that she might have a mental disorder. We got through that time - barely - and went on without it rearing its head again. But when it resurfaced three years ago, it did so with a vengeance. This time, I was better equipped myself to deal with it. There was no hesitation. We immediately saw a doctor, got a prescrip