Skip to main content

what marriage counseling taught me...lesson #2

Exactly one year ago, the hubby and I renewed our wedding vows. It wasn't our actual wedding anniversary - that is still two months away. It was a date that I had picked based on the numbers, 8/16.
 .
8 signifies the ushering in of a new era, a regeneration, and new beginnings. 16 is the number of love.
.
My intentions were to start the next 25 years off more in love than ever before; to move from good to better to the best we could be together. Of course, life has a funny way of walking me through my intentions to the reward on the other side! And so, just four months later, we were sitting in an office​, across from a marriage counselor, working our way to best. (you can find that story here lesson #1)
 .
It was in this office that I found a safety to explore my roots of rejection, the vines that had sprouted from that place, and the damaging fruit that I had been partaking in because of it. It had become my go-to, my comfort food of choice, my sour wine that I couldn't pour down the drain. It was detrimental to me, to my life, and especially to my marriage, and yet, it was like a person who is dying of lung cancer but continues to smoke - I had become addicted to this unhealthy way of walking through life. It was what I knew, and therefore became my comfortable, my familiar, my dwelling.
.
Once recognized though, it couldn't return to complacent anonymity. The time had come to burn down this cozy cave; to set about the grueling task of mowing down this corrupted vineyard, exposing harmful roots, and excavating them. Some of these roots are firmly entrenched, having enjoyed years of being nurtured. Some are surprisingly easy to uproot, having decayed long ago in neglect as healing eradicated their grip. This is no child's play. It has been one of my most demanding commitments ever. And most important.
 .
Ask either one of us and we will tell you honestly - this last year has been the absolute best of our married life. We laugh more, listen more, love more, live more. We have replaced our excavated spots with a rejuvenated love that heals, that has birthed new vines of joy, that has yielded delicious fruits of stability and passion and life. This new beginning of a timeworn love runs deep and wide, infiltrating remaining strongholds, wearing them away with truth and light, and paving the way for eventual domination!
 .
Good. Better. Best
Not every vineyard produces good wine. ~lesson #2









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the day that never came

What am I going to do? I'm sitting in the office waiting for the results of the test. My mind is racing. My palms are sweating. Heck, I'm sweating all over. I'm scared. and nervous. and feel like throwing up. Or is that just a symptom? I'm making promises to god, which is pretty funny since I haven't talked to him in awhile. Not since the last time I needed help. What am I going to do? Time is dragging. Where is that nurse? Shouldn't she be back by now? Is that a good sign or a bad one? I need to know the answer. No wait, I don't want to know (yes, I do). I can't bury my head in the sand (or can I?). I can't pretend like this isn't happening (right?). I have to know one way or the other. Yes or no. Positive or negative. What am I going to do? This is crazy. How did I get here? I'm too young for this. I'm just a teen. This only happens to other people. This can't be happening to me (can it?). I did what I was supposed to do (or didn&

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from

black and white

**********PARTS OF THIS WERE ORIGINALLY POSTED JULY 2016 I am biracial. In times like these, I feel trapped, caught between the rock of being white and the hard place of being black. I could write for a very long time about the horrors of racism that my family members, that my friends, have endured because of their skin color. I could cry and tell you of the suffering that I have been through, as recently as this month, because of my mixed heritage. I could paint a gruesome picture depicting the ugly side of this mess that most of America would prefer to slide under the ever present rug of denial and disbelief. I won't. This very post had a different slant when I first wrote it four years ago. I didn't want the country we came from, or the culture we were raised in, or the color of our skin to matter. I wanted desperately to look past that into "one big melting pot of beautiful completeness." Yes, those were my words. That was the me of then. and that