Skip to main content

choosing my religion



Several months ago, I shared about my walk away from religion (you can read that here). Looking back, I realize that the path away from organized religion had really started years before. Back when I was a teen questioning the black and white rules. Back when I was an idealistic new wife and mom questioning the patriarchy within the church. Back when I dared to voice my belief in a large gray area where grace resided and love covered all.

Every one of these thoughts, and more, was conceived inside of my heart before I ever gave birth to their words aloud.. As a (former) people pleaser, I didn't want to offend, to alienate. I didn't want to be different, the outsider. I wanted to belong. I wanted acceptance. I wanted love. And the price tag for that was the silence of my truths.

Can I just tell you how very damaging that silence was? How every time I swallowed down what my heart was telling me, another piece of me was buried? Another facet of  who I am  was layered under a mask of church-sanctioned appropriateness? That for every veil removed, another one slipped into place, going from one disguise to the next in a maddening dance of blindness? Until, exhausted, I ripped them all away, revealing the real and the raw and the naked truth of who I am, in both an angry display of boldness and a liberating exhibition of clarity.

Suddenly, with that 20/20 vision we all possess, I could see, really see, with a clearness that was blinding. It took my breath away like that first intake on a bitterly cold day. It stopped me in my tracks. What was I to do now? That which I had used as my security blanket was lying all about my feet, a garish array of misguided intentions. 

Losing my religion was not easy. It was a difficult and deliberate choice to step over everything that I had walked in for most of my life. I left beliefs, people, and a crumbling foundation in my wake, not in a 'I want to do this' fashion but in a 'my very spirit is screaming out for more' way.
 
And, I began again. Only this time, I am choosing my religion, so to speak. I am digging through my remnants, picking up what is mine and discarding the rest. I am starting anew, with a different but firm foundation. I am walking my path, my way, for the first time ever. and it is perfect.








'Cause I need freedom now and I need to know how
To live my life as it's meant to be...
And I'll find strength in pain
And I will change my ways
I'll know my name as it's called again



So when your hope's on fire
But you know your desire
Don't hold a glass over the flame
Don't let your heart grow cold

 
 
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found
With my stake stuck in this ground 
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul



The Cave/Hopeless Wanderer/Roll Away Your Stone ~ Mumford & Sons



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from ...

the deconstruction of my life and other not-so-fun moments : reckless love

    About ten years ago, I caught on to this revolutionary (to me) idea of radical love. I wanted more than anything to be   Love, the mouthpiece, the hands, the feet of Jesus, the very embodiment of all that love is. I spoke about love and forgiveness, acceptance and grace. I was the voice. I helped feed the hungry and clothe the poor. I was the hands. I went about my life, in my own town, in another country, spreading this newfound love. I was the feet. The more I swam in the deep of this reckless sea of unadulterated love, the freer I was. It was liberating like no other point of my christian walk had been. I knew authenticity and openness and joy in limitless ways. This love was overflowing and I gave it away freely. but The church is not in the free business. It became quite clear that I was being too   free with my approach. Yes, god gives grace, BUT... Yes, god forgives, BUT... Yes, god accepts all, BUT... Of course god loves all, BUT... So, I tempered my love...

the deconstruction of my life and other not-so-fun moments : forgiveness

Forgiveness. It isn't always simple. It definitely should never be expected. And, there are times that it is given without ever having been asked for. But, for me, for the instances that I shall detail in this Deconstruction series, I am actively applying it as a monthly meditation. I found this beautiful forgiveness intention written by Michael B. Beckwith: "I forgive you and set you free. Your actions no longer have power over me. I acknowledge that you are doing the best that you can, and I honor you in your process of unfoldment. You are free and I am free. All is well between us. Peace is the order of the day." I wrote about two very specific people in my last post (you can read that  here ). Part of my process of deconstructing my life is to take these experiences and flip the narrative. I am taking apart the whole, laying it out for introspection, and reassembling it my   way, for my   benefit. I am healing in the places I have been wounded. And so, I quieted my s...