Skip to main content

the deconstruction of my life and other not-so-fun moments : racism


Deconstruct - to take apart or examine something in order to reveal the basis or composition often with the intention of exposing biases, flaws, or inconsistencies.

This will be my most raw and real series yet. I do not plan to "work" these posts as I usually do, spending energy writing and rewriting over time until they seem acceptable for publication. That feels too much like how I became firmly ensconced in this miry pit to begin with.

It is my truth, laid bare, as I see and feel and recall it.

It is my story to tell, in my words, in my way. 

This is my deconstruction out of religion.

(told in snippets of memories, without adhering to a linear timeline)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Shock kept the words from truly registering. They were heard. They were understood. They felt like birds trapped in a too small space, desperately flapping to escape the confinement of their truth. They were seeking freedom to leave, now, but were rooted to that cold, hard spot where words, once uttered, never disappear. 

Racism has always affected my life. Being biracial, and yet mostly white passing, brings with it the curse of others forgetting. forgetting that I am actually a POC. forgetting that they are actually not in the company of white safety. forgetting that their subtle bigotry is truly not subtle at all.

I remember the pain slicing through my heart, anger chasing quickly behind. I remember the disappointment. in them. in the church. in god. in myself. And I remember the disillusionment that took me one more step towards this path of deconstruction.

I no longer remember the exact words. My trauma response was to put a wall around that event, allowing the perpetrators to roam freely outside of it, walking through my life as if nothing had happened. I locked it away, hidden in a deep crevice of my heart and mind, where forgiveness couldn't reach and forgetfulness pretended not to know. Life is easier that way, right?

But, my children remembered. And they were struggling to piece together those words heard on a Saturday night with the words heard the following day.

How could church leaders speak of loving like Jesus while allowing conversations and mindsets steeped in ignorance to live boldly within their midst?

How could the mouths that spewed racism one day step on a stage to sing sweetly about their beloved god the next?

I would like to say that this was a defining moment for me, one in which I said enough was enough. It wasn't. Racism and the church has been holding hands my entire life. This wasn't the first time I had heard these types of thoughts within the white church, and it sadly would not be the last. 

I said nothing. I did nothing. I moved on from that moment, albeit more wounded, more damaged, more christian. and less me. I was still growing my personal strength. I was still finding my realest self. I was still more afraid of rejection and not fitting in than I was proud of who I am.

But, it was a questioning moment.

What does unchecked racism inside of my religion mean to me? and about religion itself? 

This was just one moment in a series of moments that begged of me to examine who I am, at my core, and to create a foundation of unwavering Truth and changeless Love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deconstruction has no time frame, no ending in sight (yet), no right or wrong way to process, and no predestined landing spot. It is what it is, and I am allowing it to flow naturally for me while enjoying the ride.

Please do not offer me words that minimize the actions of others. ('god didn't hurt you, people did' type of statements) That is an example of how we allow The Church to shirk responsibility for its part in wronging others.

Love calls out injustices. Love calls for accountability. Love asks each one of us to own our mistakes while diligently being better in the following moments.

I have never given up on Love, and She doesn't give up on me.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

and the honor goes to...part 1

This will be a series of posts in which I honor people who have made an impact in my life, both in my past and in my present. I am blessed to still have some of these people in my life; others have left this life for their next one; others are no longer a part of my close circle, yet still made a difference to me. I want to share them with you. I want to honor them. I want them to know how much I love and respect them. The first one is dedicated to my childhood babysitter, Pat B. Growing up, both of my parents worked. This meant that my sister and I went to a babysitter when we were younger. We had a few, but the one that we spent the most time with, and that I remember the most, lived right up the road from us. We were actually neighbors, but being in the country, that meant a cornfield separated us. I recall being there when I was in kindergarten until I was old enough to stay by myself, probably around 12 or 13. I love to reminisce about my time there. It was my home away from ...

the deconstruction of my life and other not-so-fun moments : reckless love

    About ten years ago, I caught on to this revolutionary (to me) idea of radical love. I wanted more than anything to be   Love, the mouthpiece, the hands, the feet of Jesus, the very embodiment of all that love is. I spoke about love and forgiveness, acceptance and grace. I was the voice. I helped feed the hungry and clothe the poor. I was the hands. I went about my life, in my own town, in another country, spreading this newfound love. I was the feet. The more I swam in the deep of this reckless sea of unadulterated love, the freer I was. It was liberating like no other point of my christian walk had been. I knew authenticity and openness and joy in limitless ways. This love was overflowing and I gave it away freely. but The church is not in the free business. It became quite clear that I was being too   free with my approach. Yes, god gives grace, BUT... Yes, god forgives, BUT... Yes, god accepts all, BUT... Of course god loves all, BUT... So, I tempered my love...

shopping and drinking and eating, oh my

The first time that I remember a shopping "high", I was only a teen. I had had a disagreement with a friend and I was in my feelings - hurt, betrayed, excluded, passed over. I grabbed my newly acquired credit card and headed to the mall where I shopped til I dropped, from one end to the other, feeling better with each passing purchase. I maxed that card out. in one day. in one shopping excursion. but, I felt so good . Like, all the hurt could be hidden behind that new outfit, all the betrayal could be trampled under those new boots, all the exclusion was lost in that sweet new fragrance, and all the feelings of being passed over could be buried in the deep pockets of that new handbag. I was already involved in the drug life. I knew what it felt like to be high from that. and this felt the same. Nothing else mattered in the moment. ~~ I was never a casual drinker when I first started, six years below the legal age. I went straight for the hard liquor, very little chaser....